Why You Need an Estate Lawyer
Lawyers do tend to get a bad reputation at times, and they are usually portrayed as cunning foxes on television, which further adds to people’s mistrust towards them. Yes, some lawyers are money hungry, but we should not let them manipulate how we look at lawyers as a whole. Most of them take their job very seriously and responsibly. Having a lawyer by your side throughout different phases and situations in life can help since they will streamline different paperwork and proceedings for you. One type of lawyer that you will need is an estate lawyer, and having one selected and ready beforehand can help, so if you have not started already, you should look into Fort Lauderdale attorneys for estate planning.
An estate lawyer will help you list all of the assets that fall under your estate and then write down who will be allotted what asset after you have passed. This is essential for various reasons, and this includes:
- Making sure that all of your assets are distributed to their rightful owners after you have passed.
- Prevent potential family disputes over said assets.
- List down beneficiaries or trusts for underage children (if any) so that it can be ensured that they receive their inheritance once they become adults.
- If you do not plan your estate, then the courts will be responsible for your estate and distributing your assets, and this can lead to assets being distributed unfairly or to the wrong people because they will be able to lay a claim on them.
- Your estate lawyer will have a better understanding of the law, and will be able to draft an estate or will that will leave no gaps or holes that can be challenged later.
- They have a better understanding of the law, so they can let you know if your family is eligible for any tax cuts, etc.